3.29.2011

Panel #2- David Rogers, Provo UT


My friends! I bring with me good news and artistic splendor for we shall finally have another update on Panel #2!!

Before I get into the business, I'd like to share a few words on the nature of the project. I know we all have busy lives and daytime jobs and even families, so I am continuously honored everyday when someone tells me they'd be willing to squeeze my project into their schedules. For that reason, I can't hold it against anyone who keeps the panel longer than one week. Hell, I've even lagged on a project for months [Anna, I'm totally working on your stuff!!!!] The only reason I put a deadline on the project is because as artists, we tend to get very busy and sometimes distracted and sometimes we're trying out some new techniques through trial and error which is both fun and scary. This is totally what happened to my man David Rogers when he got his hands on the panel. His craft is photography and he is good. He is DAMN good. He wanted to try out some new stuff on the project and so he gave it a few tries before he came up with the final product. Here is a snippet from the email he sent me about his process, which I found to be quite hilarious:

"At this point I'm freakin' out trying to figure out why you would send this obviously cursed panel to me! The demons spoke to me while I slept, cursing me in Latin phrases while eternal melancholy hovered over my head...there was no end to the terror.
As the twinkie wrappers piled up in a tall pile next to my bed I suddenly realized that this is art and I can do what I want. I went to the trash can, picked out the panel and got to work. I cut a wooden panel, painted the edges of it black and stuck my photo to it using a adhesive that won't come off until the dinosaurs come home! I drilled some holes in the panel and stuck my work over my past attempts using screws to hold it in place. I hope you know that we can never be friends again."

The unpredictability of this project is one thing that I can't get enough of and I hope everyone on the bill feels free to do what they will with it! And yeah, deadlines suck, but we all know that if we didn't have them... well, you know [don' make me say it].

THE BUSINESS! Here she is [and David!], in all of her cross-country glory!


What is your earliest “artistic” memory?
When I figured out that oil paints were good for something other than eating (around age 23).

What are three words that best describe your artwork?
Colorful, symmetrical, sketchy.

What inspires you?
The people I photograph. When I see them enjoying the photos I just took, it makes me want to just keep shooting more...also Rembrandt.

What is your goal in life?
To return from whence I came.

Name something you love, and why.
I love telling people that Jackoson Pollock is the greatest artist of the 20th century (I just like to see them roll their eyes).

What makes you angry?
That Polaroids are so dang expensive nowadays!

What was your favorite toy as a kid?
Those bears that you squeeze and their nose does something fun. Dang, what were those called?

What is your favorite toy now?
My plastic skateboards.

What is your “dream” art project?
To hook fuzzy balls on El Camino's all across America with Leanne, naturally.

What have you been listening too while you’ve been working on your art[recently]?
Mostly stuff by Enya (gotta' keep it mellow).

If you were a cocktail on a drink menu at a bar, what would your name be?
Appletini (also my nickname in highschool). [I thought it was D Money, money....mooonay]


If you could go back in time and talk to “8 year old YOU”, what would you say to her/him?
"Don't worry! You'll grow into your mustache."

If you could collaborate with any other artist [living or dead], who would it be and why?
I'd work with JR, traveling the world and putting up giant poster size photos on buildings (if you don't know who he is, look up his "Face2Face" projects).

What is the best bit of advice that you have ever been given?
"Don't ever do photos for free." (too bad I haven't been charging lately).

If you had a chance to say one sentence for the whole world to hear, what would you say?
"Give Peace a Chance" (naturally).

Funny you mention Enya, Daveed. I was driving to my mom's house on Sunday and that return to innocence song came on And I hadn't heard it in a LONG time [not since I last watched Man of the House with Jonathan Taylor Thomas]. You know, the one with the shaman indian guy chanting in it all "Hiiii yiiii yiiii, oh hii yii yii" hahaha yeah, you all know EXACTLY what I am talking about. Crap, that's going to be in my head all day now.

MILEAGE! From Chicago to Provo- 1,399.07 miles! Daaaaaamn Gina! Totally the longest leg ANY of the panels have done yet! and that's across 5 states too! Impressive #2, impressive. By the time this highly articulated and well-written blog is finished being typed up, #2 will be in the care of some very VERY good friends of mine in Nevada's biggest little city, RENO! We'll check on her in another week but in the mean time, keep you reading glasses on because updates from the other panels are rolling in!

Thank you all for stopping by and please help me spread the word of El Travo Collabo to your friends! Any and all promotion would be awesome! The world must know of the goodness that is El Collabo!

Much love and good vibes,

ELROD

1 comment: