3.02.2011

Panel #2- Kim MacAulay, Chicago, IL

Panel #1 has officially been launched into circulation by my good friend from Chicago IL, Kim MacAulay. She's mainly known for painting bad ass zombies, or what she calls "Post Apocalyptic Portraits". You need to check out her work on her site, it's awesome stuff. Her work is bloody, creepy, and downright beautiful. Take a sec and go look for the zombie baby playing in a pile of slaughtered entrails... that's right, you heard me. Go on, check it out:

Let me cut to the chase and show you what we're working with here folks:


Cut to gratuitous close-up on the detail work:

That right there is a sweet and solid start for this panel. Most of her
work is much more classical so I'm really digging the style she went with on this project! Totally unexpected and I love it! Now, how about a little girl talk:

I'm Kimberly MacAulay and I'm located in Chicago, IL. I focus on human anatomy and as of right now I primarily paint zombies, but I've been known to paint the occasional portrait (non-horror) and still life.

What is your earliest “artistic” memory?
As far as one I was proud of, I remember getting an award for a drawing I did in middle school. Looking back at it, I think that's what started everything - the assignment was to draw an animal, a spider, a symbol of fear and an instrument. I drew a tiger that had been poached and torn in half with death standing over it with a sickle. Next to the tiger was an African-type drum with a spider standing on it. (Note: The spider was a large dot with legs, but the rest was pretty awesome).
What are three words that best describe your artwork?
Horror, somber, classical
What inspires you to create?
I tend to be more inspired by things that scare the shit out of me. I'm absolutely fascinated by it and the effects that fear has on the brain. I love figuring out how to bring out other emotions, making the grotesque a footnote.
What is your main goal in life?
To have new experiences. Keeping my perception of the world and the people in it in a constant state of evolution. If I start feeling comfortable somewhere, I get anxious and need to move on. ...I guess the end-all would be to have my art sustain my lifestyle.
Name something you love, and why.
I love to organize stuff. I can't really say why - maybe because it makes me feel completely in control of what's around me. I think i'm more of a control freak than I like to admit :)
What makes you angry?
Double standards.
What is your dream project?
At the risk of sounding incredibly cheesy, each and every project is a dream project.
What has been coming out of your speakers when you've been painting recently?
I tend to go back and forth between music and podcasts depending on my mood and what will stimulate me more at the time. *expects eye rolls* If I'm working more expressive, I have been gravitating toward Lady Gaga, Linkin Park and Kenna. If I'm working more detailed, I favor Barenaked Ladies, Los Straitjackets and Guster. And anytime I'd rather not listen to music, I enjoy the podcasts Nerdist and How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse.
If you were a cocktail on a drink menu at a bar, what would your name be?
"If you mess with the bull...."
If you could collaborate with any artist, dead or alive, who would it be?ing or dead], who would
See, that's not fair since this project is a collaboration! But since I really don't know many artists working on it, I guess I've got a little more freedom :) In all honesty, I've always respected Brom and Jhonen Vasquez (For clearly different reasons). I'd love to either collaborate or do a show with them.
What is the best bit of advice that you have ever been given?
"I don't think you can do that" ...nothing gets me more fired up and excited to do
something huge and crazy like a naysayer!
If you had one chance to say one sentence for the whole world to hear, what would it be?
If you have dreams or something that you really want to do, just fuckin' do it! The only person holding you back is yourself.
Well said, K Mac, well said. Oh and check it out, this panel will be traveling across 8 states and over 2,100 miles... I'm fairly certain it will probably be the panel withe most mileage on it! This is how I feel about that:


Hahaha! Oh man, never mind. ANY WAYS, the next stop on this panels fabulous journey is Provo UT, with a photographer by the name of David Rogers. We'll get more into that in a few days when he figures what the hell he's going to do with the panel. Have fun with it friend, and treat her good.

Until next time my pretties,

ELROD

No comments:

Post a Comment