3.14.2011

Panel #1-Paul Mendoza Nicholas, Campbell CA

NOW WE'RE GETTIN' SOMEWHERE!

I'm so proud to present to you all the latest and the greatest on panel #1 that was laid down by one hell of talented artist, Paul Mendoza. Paul lives out in Campbell CA and his work is truly something to admire. Check out his work and add him on the facebooks here:




Paul graced the panel with his signature slick and bold patterns that I love so much. Did you see his " ICONOCLAST/ B!shop SHAKUR" piece in his photo album? SWOON. I have had the pleasure and honor of working alongside [or rather "hanging" alongside] Paul at two venues- Artillery AG in La Mission, and PAK Gallery in SOMA. Which, by the way, are two sweet spots you need to check out, if you haven't already. Especially Artillery, those guys got it going on!!! Check out their website and swoop by one of their art openings- They throw a proper party fah sho.
Alright alright, now that we showed you the goods and promoted the homies, how about some more artist love? Enter the interview [GOOOOOOOOOOONG]:

My name is Paul Mendoza Nicholas a.k.a Slip2mikoo, a.k.a Kid Clutch, a.k.a Papong, a.k.a Juicy from Campbell, CA and I (try to) paint.

What is your earliest "artistic" memory?

When I was about 4 or 5 years old back home in the Phillippines: I'd use to watch my older brother, cousins and their friends draw all of these bad ass Transformers/Go Bots cartoon characters on the street with chalk, rocks and coal. I remember getting mad whenever it rained and washed all of their work away.

What are three words that describes your artwork?

RAW. INFECTIOUS. SOUL.

What inspires you?

INSPIRATION? My family has always been a constant so I always try to pay tribute to them whenever I can. but, my inspiration comes from everywhere. A single parent working multiple jobs to raise their young? That's inspiring, A blind person trudging along a busy city equipped with nothing more than a walking stick? That's hardcore.

What is your goal in life?

Man, These questions are DEEP! Goals? I don't know really, but maybe just to make my family, especially my Mama, proud and to keep moving forward until I realize my full creative potential, and make as much of a positive impact in the places I've been and with the people I meet.

Name something you love and why.

Halloween! it's a gateway to many of my favorite things. Fall, holidays, NBA season opens... Halloween is definitely underrated.

What makes you angry?

IGNORANCE & ARROGANCE. I'm getting pissed off just saying those words.

What was yoru favorite toy as a kid?

I remember playing with marbles a lot as a kid. I didn't have toys, but I remember loving marbles. That was my earliest hustle. I'd borrow two or three marbles from some of the kids playing and by the time it was time to go home, I'd end up with both pockets compeltely filled with marbles. Plus, I could always use them as projectiles for my slingshot.

What is your favorite toy now?

Now? I'm more of a collector I guess and I think I have a budding CD & DVD/BluRay hoarding problem. Help.

What is your 'dream" art project?

My life is my dream art project SON!

What have you been listening to while you've been working on your art [recently]?

My musically gifted bay area brothers: Wasted, KALDERA and One Over Eight.

If you were a cocktail on a drink menu at a bar, what would your name be?

Slip2miPoison?

If you could go back in time to "8 year old you", what would you tell her/him?

Buy Google stocks. Plenty of it.


If you could collaborate with any other artist [living or dead], who would it be and why?

Dead: Diego Rivera. Alive: My older brother, Jun Nicholas. I remember him doing some radical and original shit back in his adolescent years that would still be radical and original to this day! I don't see him half as much as I'd like to now and I'm still trying to chase his shadow [artisticly].

What is the best bit of advice that you have ever been given?

"Be Real" - Mom

If you had one chance to say one sentence for the whole world to hear, what would you say?

Stand for nothing, fall for everything AND strength in unity, not numbers. (That's still one sentence...)

Well, that may have been a run-on sentence, but I never got a passing grade in English, so I'll let it fly. What do you guys think? Pretty tasty shit, right [licks fingers like they got bbq on them], mmmmHMMMM.

So, from SF to Campbell, this little darlin' has traveled 53.17 miles and is now on her way to make one of the longest legs of her journey to Redlands down in SOCAL [woopwoop] to the doorstep of my friend Lindsey Chesus who crafts like no one's business. I am predicting some mixed media getting thrown on the panel, but who knows. You artists have been keeping me on my toes and I'm not sure what to expect actually... oooooh, I dig it!

Ok then, one more week or so for another update on Panel #1, but we should be getting updates from the other panels within a few days.

PLEASE STAND BY.

Peace,

ELROD

p.s- I literally just noticed the little music bar coming out of the bullet hole in the pharaoh's head, LOL I love little secrets like that!!! more more MORE!

No comments:

Post a Comment