6.08.2011

Panel #8- Jessi Kempin of San Francisco, CA

Hey all,

Today we celebrate the birth of a new panel baby, and it's name is Panel #8. The first artist to welcome this glorious love-art child is the wildly awesome Jessi Kempin of San Francisco. Ms. Kemp is not only a strong advocate for the proper burial of small animals [like art st
ore pet fish, or little dead birdies on the sidewalk] but she's quite the fabulous mixed media artist as well. I got a chance to catch her work at a group show in North Beach and her work totally put a smile on my face. Her addition to the panel is super precious and a little somber, but it still made my lips do that smiley thing...

Just to add a little context to her work, Jessi moved her fridge and found a sweet little dead mouse holding a precious nut close to his heart... imagine him using his last little bit of energy holding onto that nut....[tear*]. Sweet little mouser:

Hello ! I am Jessi Kempin. I was born in Germany, raised in Seattle, schooled in New York City (at Parsons),
 and just moved to the fine city of San Francisco in October 2010. I work full time at the coolest art store in 
San Francisco, Artist and Craftsman Supply (in North Beach). When I'm home, I'm breathing life into my own 
business, Year of the Pig Studio (www.yearofthepigstudio.wordpress.com) and also yelling at cable cars from 
my roof. 
What is your earliest “artistic” memory?

It would have to be drawing food. I used to go around my house and make my family "order" from a menu I'd
written up. Once they'd "placed" their orders, I'd rush to my room to draw their food. A plate of fries. A sandwich.
 An ice cream. Whatever they wanted. And then I would "serve" them their food thereafter.

What are three words that best describe your artwork?

Whimsical, playful, and colorful.

What inspires you?

I wouldn't be creating if not for other artists inspiring me, naturally. but in general ? I am inspired by animals
and industrial city landscapes. I'm enamored with powerlines and have been for a long while. 

What is your goal in life?

If I had it my way, I'd spend the rest of my life painting in a studio and taking photographs - selling my work
in galleries. I want my work to hang on walls in as many corners of the world as possible. 

Name something you love, and why.

Horses. For their strength, wisdom, and compassion.

What makes you angry?

When people mess with my family, friends, and/or animals; I am loyal beyond belief and will do anything to
 protect them.
What was your favorite toy as a kid?

It's a toss up between 'My Little Ponies,' 'Breyer Horses,' and 'Playmobile.' oh, and let's not forget 'Polly Pocket.'

What is your favorite toy now?

My cameras. Nikon (entirely manual, I never graduated to digital), Holga, and Polaroid SX-70.

What is your “dream” art project?

That's tough. I've always wanted to do a large scale mural - like the side of a building, filled with all sorts animals
and cities and colors.

What have you been listening to while you’ve been working on your art [recently]?

Most recently it's been Radiohead's new album The King of Limbs, The Radio Dept., and Young Galaxy's album
 Shapeshifting.
If you were a cocktail on a drink menu at a bar, what would your name be?

"Kokomo" (it's a long story).

If you could go back in time and talk to “8 year old YOU”, what would you say to her/him?

I would tell her that everything happens for a reason, so stop trying to control the uncontrollable.

If you could collaborate with any other artist [living or dead], who would it be and why?

Probably Aubrey Beardsley - he was a genius.

What is the best bit of advice that you have ever been given?

"Everything will be okay in the end. And if it's not, then it's not the end."

If you had a chance to say one sentence for the whole world to hear, what would you say?
This too shall pass

Bravo, my friend, BRAVO. Many thanks and much respect to Jessi for sharing her talents and words with us.
What do you think? Do you like her homage to the dead fridge mouse? I LOVE IT. 

Next up on the agenda for Panel #8 is a trip down to SOCAL to an artist by the name of 
Phillip Garza. He already did the work on it, so give me a few days to catch up and get his post
 all set up. Promise it will have been worth the wait!

See you again tomorrow with another catch up post!
Much Love,
ELROD

No comments:

Post a Comment