4.28.2011

BATTLE OF THE SEXES: PART 3

DANG ELROD BE TAKING DAYZ. Sorry it took so long for me to actually post this!

Panels #4 and #5, a.k.a The Battle of the Sexes Panels, have just finished another round and it's time to share the goods.

LADIES FIRST!

Man, what can I say about Erin Hamilton of Oakland CA, other than her skills are OFF THE HOOK. I mean, seriously, this girl is packin' heat! She's been studying illustration at at the Academy of Art and her work is no joke, bad ass. You HAVE TO check out her site and get to know her other work, soooo worth the time! See how hyped up my sentences are?! THAT'S how excited I get when I see her work!

Ok, I'll just calm down and let you see for yourself what I'm talking about:


My name is Erin Hamilton, I've lived in California for 11 years, Texas is where my family lives, but we moved a lot when I was young. (Colorado, Ohio, Canada: my Dad is a musician and University Professor and liked to travel).
I'm a visual artist (painting, drawing, design) and am currently working on my MFA in
San Francisco at the Academy of Art University with a degree in illustration.

What is your earliest “artistic” memory?

I remember making this 2 ft tall cutout decorated snowman in 2nd grade that my teacher loved best of all the winter themed art in class, or so it seemed to me, but it was probably just a beginning point for my art-ego driven delusions.

What are three words that best describe your artwork?

Diverse, detailed, playful

What inspires you?

The architecture and energetics of different cities, nature (trees/plants/animals/bugs) people; friends and strangers, watching the early morning commuters on the bart train all sleeping like babies in business suits, movies, life/death/beautiful/ugly contradictions.

What is your goal in life?

To be happy, healthy, and wealthy (sounds cliche, but it's truly my current list of goals)

Name something you love, and why.

Having a day with no agenda or plans because it's rare to have those days right now, and I often take them anyway, then experience the self-employment anxiety of not working "enough".

What makes you angry?

Being angry makes me angry.

What was your favorite toy as a kid?

Horses

What is your favorite toy now?

My bike.

What is your “dream” art project?

I'd like to work on a film or video someday.

What have you been listening to while you’ve been working on your art[recently]?
Radiohead, Lali Puna, Cocorosie, Subtle, my upstairs 11 year old neighbor who plays Jazz trombone and piano (not by choice, though entertaining on occasion; have you ever heard an 11 year old play "Thriller" or Stevie Wonder songs on a Trombone? So good/bad!!!), and random stations on Pandora.

If you were a cocktail on a drink menu at a bar, what would your name be?

Tall glass of water, no ice?
I don't know, I usually only go to bars to hear music ...
Ok I got it: "eboogie" (it's a nickname given to me by 2 different people independent of each other; I like to dance like a freak I guess)

If you could go back in time and talk to “8 year old YOU”, what would you say to her/him?

Sweet long haired little girl, please oh please, DO NOT cut the sides of your hair shorter than the back and then feather your bangs, or you will look like a boy, later find out that your haircut is called a "mullet", and have to look at that haircut boy-phase on the family photo wall FOREVER.
AKA, The wall of shame (sorry Mom).

If you could collaborate with any other artist [living or dead], who would it be and why?

I'd like to do an art/music project with Bjork because she has such a unique, playful, yet hardworking persona and sense of freedom to what she does.

What is the best bit of advice that you have ever been given?

Don't worry so much.
(I'm still working on that)

If you had a chance to say one sentence for the whole world to hear, what would you say?

Leanne, this is too much pressure.
The whole world?
Is there a translator for people who don't speak english?
Hmmmmmmm......
I think I'd find the most bass thumping awesome song I could and just play it really loud and hope for a big ol' dance party and a little less fighting.

Beautiful! Thank you, Erin. I am so honored that you took part in the collabo and you rocked it...hardcore.

Time to see what those rascal boys are up to! Last time we saw the panel, it looked like a showdown between a rooster and Colonel Sanders [a la Ed and Oscar] and now we get to see what my boy Eddie Shiffer of El Centro did! Eddie is a wildly talented guy from the south that paints great political and energy-fueled oil works and I've witnessed him dappple into some super cool mixed media work as well. Check his website and enjoy his interview!

Aaaaaand it looks like Eddie is keeping the theme of "hilarious"!

My name is Eddie Shiffer I’m from the Imperial Valley in Southern California. The Imperial Valley is a county that shares a border with Mexico and Arizona. Many of my works deal with border issues, race, social injustice, capitalism, lack of accountability, and the duality of not belonging here or there. For the better part of my adult life I have been I teacher. I have being a tutor, a substitute teacher, a kindergarten teacher, a high school art teacher and even a community college instructor. I like to convey ideas and give people the tools to create their own. That’s why I love art, it allows me to teach and create at the same time.

What is your earliest “artistic” memory?

Drawing Fred Flintstone on the back of an envelope with one of my cousins. Mine was a little skinny if I remember correctly.

What are three words that best describe your artwork?

Political, cultural, opinionative…or blah blah blah…

What inspires you?

What inspires me are random thoughts, television, news, political issues, people, cartoons, music, coffee, food, and all things good and not so good. Life is just full of events both big and small that mold and inspire me to make art.

What is your goal in life?

Just to do the best I can, finding joy in the small things, and not owe anything to anyone.

Name something you love, and why.

What I love is the look on the face of someone who just got it. This happens a lot when you are teaching. It could be something as simple as 2+2=4 but the look lets you know that person has just learned something that they will use forever.

What makes you angry?

What makes me angry is laziness, complacency, and lack of motivation and squandered opportunities. I have had so many brilliant students with everything handed to them on a silver platter and many of these students have no ambition to do anything. This drives me nuts.

Side note, “stupidity” an intermediate painting student came up to me and asked me what colors make red. WTF, really! At least that’s what crossed my mind but I didn’t say it out loud. Once I told her red is a primary color and you can’t mix colors to make red she went back and told her group of friends that they couldn’t mix colors to make red.

What was your favorite toy as a kid?

I didn’t have a lot of money but, I some how ended up with the twins from G.I. Joe Tomax and Xamat, I thought that was so cool. I always cheered for the bad guy too. Cobra!

What is your favorite toy now?

All my toys are gone now, but gel medium and encaustic wax keeps me entertained.


What is your “dream” art project?

It would be a Mural. It would involve artists from both sides of the U.S. and Mexican border paintings on the fence at the same time and we would cross back and forth between counties without any papers. We would all be illegal artists and there would be no way of telling us apart. Then at the end of the project you could stay in whatever country you want to stay in.

What have you been listening too while you’ve been working on your art[recently]?

Tom Waits, Beatles, Juan Gabriel, Cafeta Cuba, Gypsy Kings, Leonard Cohen, Talking Heads, Dan Auerbach, Al Green and a radio station called Jose, “Nunca sabes lo que va tocar” It plays all the songs from my mother’s generation that I grew up hearing.

If you were a cocktail on a drink menu at a bar, what would your name be?

I would be called “Mister Mister”

I would be a mixture of a Redheaded Slut, a Jack and Ginger, and Don Julio Tequila. I don’t know what that would taste like but I bet you would go blind if you had more than two.

If you could go back in time and talk to “8 year old YOU”, what would you say to her/him?

Play more and make a lot of friends, quit being so shy and take a lot of chances. Then I would give myself some money so I could buy some candy.

If you could collaborate with any other artist [living or dead], who would it be and why?

Leonardo Da Vinci, I think he’s “the most interesting man in world,” The Dos Equis man would be jealous. If he were alive in our lifetime he would have invented Post-its. That’s whom I would pick

What is the best bit of advice that you have ever been given?

“Fuck Them or Fuck’em.” This had gotten me in and out of a lot of trouble.

If you had a chance to say one sentence for the whole world to hear, what would you say?

If you have anything extra food, clothing, shelter, good advise or even a story, pass it on to someone who needs it.

Good message, great art! Thank you Eddie!!!! Your dinosaur-riding robot shall go down in history as the best dinosaur/robot tag team...EVER.

We're almost finished with the battle!!! Just two more artists left, Corrin Duran of Covina and Kevin Sechelski of Houston! Let's wait and see what they do and then I will need all of YOU to cast your vote and decided who wins the battle.

My love and respects to all,

ELROD

No comments:

Post a Comment