4.08.2011

BATTLE OF THE SEXES : PART 2

ROUND TWO, PAINT!

Hey all, welcome back! First off, thank you all who have shared El Travo Collabo with all of your friends! It is so cool to have people contacting me and asking me
about what we're doing and to hear them get all excited really just makes my day. Help spread the word and the art by posting a link to your facebook so we can get more followers- the artists on this project deserve to have as much exposure as they can get!

Ok, let's get down to it- Last we left off on the Battle of the Sexes panels, Ed He of San Francisco painted a crazy man-rooster [yeah, you know...a cock] on the boys panel while Jen Oaks of Berkeley went all out with a sexy bikini babe on the ladies board. Both panels have since left the bay area and traveled in opposite directions- the ladies panel went down to SoCal, while the boys' went to Roseville [out past Sacramento]. Let's catch up on the two panels, and of course, LADIES FIRST!

The second stop on the road for the ladies panel is down in sunny Moreno Valley with tatoo artist Janelle "JDUB" Cuba of Inkaholics. She's a tattoo artist and an all around bad ass and I HAD to have her on the project! After participating in a mini art group show at the Rogue Elephant Gallery in MoVal with her, I hit up Janelle kind of random style via the facebooks and asked her if she would be interested in the project. This girl was perfect for the bill and she was more than down to contribute to the project. Check it out!

My Name is Janelle Cuba aka JDUB. I was born in Honolulu, HI. and currently reside in Moreno Valley, CA. I am a tattoo artist, and have been tattooing for the past 8 years.


What is your earliest artistic memory?

My earliest artistic memory is in kindergarten, when I did my first watercolor that I still have to this day. (Thank you for framing and keeping that for me mom!)

Three words that describe your art:

Free, easy, and heart.

What inspires you?

My family. they have always encouraged, supported and lifted me up in whatever I do... and I am thankful for that.

What is your goal in life?

My goal in life is to breathe everything in, accept whatever comes along and roll with it the best i can, bettering myself everyday [hopefully!].

Name something that makes you angry.

I think the number one thing that makes me angry is people who are inconsiderate of others.

What was your favorite toy as a kid?

My favorite was my Popple... hahahaha! I don't know if anyone remembers Popples [they were awesome].

What is your favorite toy now?

Hmmm... I don't think I have one. I wanna say my nephews. they are like toys but waaaaay better.

What is your dream art project?

My dream art project is to work with children, and illustrate a book about it.

What have you been listening to lately while you work [on your art]?

I listen to all types of music, mainly underground hip hop, classic rock and some punk rock. I do have my guilty
pleasures... I like a couple of one hit wonders from back in the day and a little bit of mainstream nonsense [that I will not name.. hahaha].


If you where a cocktail on a bar menu, what would your name be?

I actually do have a cocktail that was named after me [where i actually got "JDUB"]. I specially ordered it so much that the club named d "JDUB".

If you could go back in time and talk to 8 year old you, what would you tell him/her?

I would tell myself to save more money and pay attention in high school!

If you could collaborate with any artist, living or dead, who would it be?

If I could collaborate with anyone, it would be Pablo Picasso, just because he was free, the art was honest, there were no rules with him... and it seemed like he was an awesome person to hang with.

What is the best bit of advice that you ever been given?

Always do your best, never lie. ... 'cause you will always get caught.

If you had a chance to say one sentence for the whole world to hear, what would it be?

"Rock and Roll will all your HEART!"

Big ups to JDUB for getting down on El Collabo and for sharing all the goodness with us. Her boom box addition to the panel is crazy cool and that gloomy bird is too sweet~ LOVE. Bright, bold and ROCKIN'! Just like Janelle :)

Speaking of rockin' folks, let's keep this party rollin' and check in on the boys! The second artist to paint on the Boys' panel is none other than my brother from a different mother [a really sweet mother who makes thebomb diggidy arroz con pollo], Oscar Padilla aka P. Dilla. Oscar is another artist that I met super randomly and asked him to take part in the FIRST Travo Collabo [2009]. He also rocked the first panel of the project and it's so good to have him partake in the festivities again. He's a muralist from the East Bay who is now based out of Roseville, CA. His work is always bold, bright and are sure to give you a smile. So, remember how Ed He did that cool ass fighting rooster? Well, rooster, meet the Colonel. Colonel Sanders:


"He's an evil sunomabetch!"

What is your earliest “artistic” memory?


My earliest artistic memory was when I went to George Hall Elementary, out in San Mateo, The school had a art contest for “Keep San Mateo Beautiful”. I remember my older sister, Denisse, won and received a plaque. As the younger sibling, I followed her lead and strived to work towards receiving recognition for something I created…I’m still working on it.


What are three words that best describe your artwork?


How about two? WINNING!!...DUH!!


What inspires you?


I’m inspired by other people, I’ve always been inspired by things I’ve been through, but lately, i’ve been more inspired by others. I paint what they think up, I like it because it challenges me to think outside my normal relm of imagination and dip into someone elses.


What is your goal in life?


Success, however it may come. I want a family and want to make sure that they are well taken care of.


Name something you love, and why.


As corny as it sounds, I love my girlfriend Amy. She has kept me grounded and more level minded than I’ve ever been. She’s always pushing me forward and she’s always been a huge support. I also love my truck, her names Betsy. She keeps me busy and out of trouble, but she is a fucking gold digger!! Always taken money out my pocket.


What makes you angry?


I get angry when I see people that grew up in a good household, who had lots of good opportunities, and a great upbringing that try to act “hood”. People that didn’t know what struggle was, that didn’t grow up seeing their parents struggle to be able to offer them a better life and then they grow up disrespectful and they act “gangsta”. It really irritates me. My family didn’t come from a wealth background, and we grew up in small one bedroom apartments with one car households, but what we lacked made us humble, it made us appreciate things. I don’t think you can appreciate something when you’ve had it all your life.


What was your favorite toy as a kid?


Grant! I got this 12 inch G.I. Joe action figure. He had a scar on his face from the war!! He came with guns and ropes and awesomeness!!! I swear I had that toy for hella years, then one day I tied him to the back of my bike, to prove to my friend that my G.I. Joe was tougher than his, I was wrong…Grant’s plastic chest broke open, his rubber head went rolling into the gutter, and all that was left were his two non-bendy rubber legs. *tear* Damn you for reminding me Leanne!!


What is your favorite toy now?


My favorite toy now is probably my fixie, I love that thing, other than that, my PS3 that my girlfriend hates.


What is your “dream” art project?


My dream project would probably be to paint the side of a building with a bunch of close friends and some ice cold brews.


What have you been listening too while you’ve been working on your art[recently]?


I listen to a shuffle mix of Credence Clearwater Revival, Tupac, The Black Keys, Hendrix, Marley, B.I.G., Elvis Presley, and a couple old school bands like Zepplin and ACDC. Its like P90X for your earlobes, musical confusion.


If
Boldyou were a cocktail on a drink menu at a bar, what would your name be?


Butterface. It would make anyone look good.


If you could go back in time and talk to “8 year old YOU”, what would you say to her/him?


“Quit playing with that thing so much, it’s gonna fall off!”


If you could collaborate with any other artist [living or dead], who would it be and why?


Probably Salvador Dali. I think it would have been great to try to not sleep for hella days and start to dream while I was still awake. I read that he use to do this for inspiration.


What is the best bit of advice that you have ever been given?


Growing up my mom didn’t always agree with me on things, but she would always say the same thing, “Si te hace feliz” I’ve continued to live by those words, sometimes for the worse, but I’ve learned. It’s always stuck with me.


If you had a chance to say one sentence for the whole world to hear, what would you say?


Do what makes you happy no matter who you hurt, if they care, they’ll see you happy and will be happy as well.


Thank you, hermano. I am forever grateful for you participating in the project and for believing in my vision- And your Colonel is effing ridiculous and I love it! hahaha! You can check out more of Oscar's work here.


So what do you all think? Did Janelle's boom box blast your face off your head or did Oscar's evil colonel make you laugh your feathers off? Tell us all who you think took Round 2 in the Battle of the Sexes!


Mile Math:


Panel #5 Ladies- From Berkeley to Moreno Valley- 477.59 miles

Panel #6 Guys- From San Francisco to Roseville- 117.06 miles


Next up for the ladies is Erin Hamilton of Oakland and for the guys it will be Eddie Schiffer of El Centro. Both are amazing artists that I deeply admire and I'm dying with anticipation to see what they do!


Much Love and Respect to You All,


ELROD



No comments:

Post a Comment